tisdag 23 februari 2021

The sprang-hairnet journey continue.

I have been working on a new hairnet. In sprang-technique and linen thread. The same way I have been before when doing the other nets. But I still dont think I got the right shape. So the hairnet-journey continues. And this time I tried both a different shape and a new pattern. 

I have been looking at a few different ones. This for example, from 1507, Barbara Schellenberger, by Hans Burgkmair. The round part in the middle might say that its not sprang, but I think I can make the same look with the sprang-technique anyway. 

And this, from 1530. This could be sprang, no sign on knotted or sprang here. Or do I want to see sprang everywhere?

This one have the same look too, with stripes the way sprang would look if made with stripes. I dont see any meetingpoint though, that would be if there was a net made by the sprang-technique. Should they haft left it out, even if it where there?


All of the nets in the paintings above have the typical german 16th century look with the string crossed at the neck and around the head/wulst. 

I havent been doing sprang with stripes but I thought I would try it. And here is the result.

 Its 70 loops and the gold threads are two, every 8 thread of blue. I made the warp 38 cm.

 The stripes look a bit crooked here but I can pull them straight, move the net.


 
To match the paintings I think I need to make more stripes or broader stripes. But in a distance this might have the right look, right?!



 
Does the back look right? I dont know. There are so few paintings where the back of the head is visible.




This is what the net look like on its own, not on a head or with a wulst underneath. The nets I have done before have been squared. That left a lot of excess fabric back at the neck and did not give the typical flat 16th century German look. This shape give a flat backside. 


The previous nets also have a binding at the front, not just the fingerloop braid as this one. And many of the nets in paintings from 16th century Germany has that distinct band at the front. If I sew the net together, just for a couple of cm and pull the rest together, like in the back of this net, I might get the same look as in the portrait of Barbara. With the round part at the top or her head. I need to try this...
Oh well, the sprang hairnet-journey continues. Broader stripes next, time, or more of the yellow.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar