lördag 22 augusti 2020

Iron age inspired hairnet

There is a lot of nets in my life right now. Im in love with my sprangframe and its about all that I do. I have worked most in linen, made three linen 16th century german hairnets. But I have also tried silk, that was so far the most difficult material to work in. The first try-out I made was in wool. And a couple of days ago I went back to wool. I wanted to learn how to make holes. The first thing I did was a small bag. And after that I went bigger. 

I made another hairnet inspired by a Iron age hairnet found in a bog in Denmark, Bredmore i Himmerland. I know! I made something that is not 16th century German. It was fun, okey!

This cap is from 800-500 BC. Its mostly called The Bredmose cap. Here is the original. The photo comes from the homepage of the Danish National museum. And you can find it here.

The hairnet was found on a bog body, the so called Arden woman. She had her hair up on the back of her head and covered with the hairnet. 

This picture comes from here.

 

I have not found any documentation except for the pictures of it. So I dont know the amount of threads and the exact pattern. So I just used it, the shape, as inspiration. The holes are not that difficult to make so therefore I think that they could have used them too, even if there are none in this one. I dont know how big it is. There are a lot of different variants of hairnets from the period out there. 

Mine is made in grey wool. Its a loose 2-ply thread. I had it at home and I dont know where I bought it. I used 60 threads. The pattern is four rows of s-twists and then a slit, four rows of twists and then a slit, and so on... My head is 57 cm around, but it would propably fit someone that have a slightly bigger head too.

 

 

The drawstring is connected to the middle of the sprang textile. Its where you closing the sprang up, to hold the twists together. Without it, the twist would completely untwist. Therefore all sprang textiles have a clear center like that. 

 

When you make a sprang it can be difficult to press it together the same on the top as on the bottom. Therefore when taking it out of the frame the sides can be different in size. Mine was. I used the bigger part as the back and the smaller around the head. The side that was slightly longer was to long to have around the head.

The bottom part of the sprang textile is drawn together. It also look to me like the back is sewn together a little from the drawn part. In the picture below I have marked it with a red circle.

The front edge seems raw to me. They have just taken it of the sprang frame. Therefore I did the same. 

Now it feel like I really need to go to Copenhagen to look at it myself. Austrriki Viking age clothing has a picture of it on there facebookpage.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar