söndag 6 december 2020

Lengberg find number three

During a restoration of the Lengberg castle (East Tyrol, Austria) in 2008 a filled vault was detected below the floorboards. More than 2,700 textile fragment were found in there. This part of the Lengberg castle was probably finished by 1485 so the finds is most likely predating this. Among the finds there were a couple of sprang woven fragments, in different conditions. 

After making the other of the Lengberg finds I just had one left, so I made that too. The original is a narrow sprang strip with a non-stretched width of 2,2 cm and a preserved length of 11 cm. Its made of a slightly finer thread of 0,5 mm and a 48 thread warp, 24 loops. I made my pattern drawn from the Enigmatic Beauty article, that contains the rest of the pattern too. I used the same thread as for the other samples, a white linen thread of 1 mm, so it was a bit to thick, compared to the original. 

The original piece can be found here, in Enigmatic Beauty, an article about the finds written by Beatrix Nutz, Carol James and Rachel Case. This piece in on page 12. Carol James made the pattern.

As for the other sprangpatterns I worked with the blue is a right-edge stitch, the orange is a double stitch and the green is a left-edge stitch. The numbers in the middle of the stitches is how many threads that should be worked before there is another stitch. I dont really think that stitch is a good word for it but it has to work for now, I dont know what to call them, twists? But they are all twists... ordinary stitch, basic stitch, ordinary twists, basic twist? A basic twist is two threads, one from the back going up and one from the front going down. Sometimes it can be difficult to see which thread that is in line, but I noticed that if you look further down the threads always seems to hang in order. So, Im trying not to work to close to the upper part. 

Again its a hole pattern that creates flowers and...what to call it, darts? 


My sprang pieces are 27 and 28 cm long. It differs with 1 cm because I have pressed them together differently. The one on the bottom is shorter and pressed together harder than the one on the top. They are 4 cm width. The original was 2,2 width and the difference is because of the thread, mine is thicker.

The ends are sewn together with the same linen thread to prevent it from unraveling. I might have pulled it a bit to tight though, it depends on what I want to use it for.

This sprang, as for the last one I made, was not attached to a headwear or any other fabric when found. So its difficult to say what it was used for. But it could be a headwear, maybe for a child, or together with more narrow sprang pieces for a decorative effect. 

Now there are no more sprang patterns made from extant pieces that I know of. So I guess I have to make up my own...

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar