torsdag 6 maj 2021

My first 16th century ceramics

They are fired and photographed, my first 16th century ceramic replicas. The original is for food storage, in yellow clay and glaced only on the inside. I made mine in grey clay and therefore I glaced them on the outside too. And they are made for drinks, not food storage. 

The original has a brown glace, only on the inside. But as I worked in grey clay I thought I should glace them on the outside too. And obviously I put it on unevenly, so they became patchy. But they turned out quite nice anyway. I guess that happened during the renaissance too.

 Here is the original. Its found in Uppsala in Sweden and is 16th century. As you can see it has a small shelf for a lid. I decided not to make that, to be able to use it as a mug.


 
 
So the glace isnt really right. But I think I got the shape right. When I made them I had not yet seen the picture in colour, so I did not know about the colour of the clay. But next time I can improve with clay in the right colour!
 
This picture is taken right after I put the handle in place.
 

 Photos by Anders Ragnarsson. Thank you!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar