tisdag 1 januari 2019

A first try at drawn threadwork.

Lace have always inspired me, maybe just because I dont have the knowledge and skill (yet!) to make it myself. As I was doing research for a new shirt I was looking through Patterns of fashion 4 and found something simliar to lace that I actually might be able to do by myself. Drawn threadwork! It was used during the 16th century in Germany, as well as in Sweden. A Swedish exampel is a shirt from 1567, a part of the Sturekläderna/Stureclothing, stored in the treassury of the tower of Uppsala cathedral. I had some sparetime today so I thought I was going to try drawn threadwork for fun. I will make an apron decorated with drawn threadwork someday but as a first try I made a napkin. It is made in linen and I saved all the threads using them when sewing. I did not have enought of the thread from the linen so I pulled threads from another piece of the same linen. I tried to use the linen thread I normaly use for sewing at one part but it was to thick and it looked bulky. The total amount of time that it took to make this napkin was six hours or so.
I started by pulling out five threads and folding the edge. 
Sewing five threads together at the top...
...and at the bottom. 
At the left you see the using of the thread from the linen and to the right you see the using of my normal linen thread, much more bulky.
Cut the threads at the sides if you want to have the decorations on all sides. 
The finished napkin is is 39 cm (15,3 inch).
This, at Whiljas blog, is what drawn threadwork look like if you do something a bit more difficult then a napkin!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar